Top Ways for College Students to Experience Art in Minneapolis
Minneapolis is full of theaters, venues, and museums that share beautiful, impactful art with our community. Many hold extra discounts for college students to make the arts accessible to those who might not otherwise be able to connect with them. Here is a list of some of the best places to experience all that the Minneapolis art scene has to offer!
Student rush tickets are a great option for those that want to explore the theater scene in Minneapolis. These theaters have high-quality, Broadway-caliber shows that are a fraction of the price if tickets are available when college students show up 15-30 minutes before the show is set to begin. Here are a few great theaters you should try:
- Orpheum Theatre
- Chanhassen Dinner Theater (A little bit further of a drive, approx. 30 mins away, in Chanhassen, MN!)
Be sure to check out each theater’s website to prepare before you go to buy rush tickets! (Tickets can be limited availability so also make sure to call ahead to see if there will be any seats available.)
Minneapolis also has a large variety of movie theaters nearby that students can easily access. From independently owned one-screen theaters to recognizable chains, there are many options to choose from, especially when it comes to great deals on movie tickets! Some of the best options include:
- Riverview Theater – All Matinee tickets $5 and evening tickets $7 every day. Cash Only.
- The Main Cinema – $5 Tuesdays
- AMC Rosedale – $5 Tuesdays
- Emagine Theaters (Willow Creek is the closest location to North Central University, approx. 13 minutes away in Plymouth, MN) – $5 Tuesdays for Emagine Rewards Members (free sign-up and free rewards including a free popcorn every Tuesday)
- Marcus Cinema – $5 Tuesdays and $7.50 Student (and Educator) Thursdays
There are also many great museums and ways to experience visual art, such as paintings and sculptures, in Minneapolis. Here are some great options for students:
- Minneapolis Institute of Art – Free
- Walker Arts Center – All day on the first Saturday of each month and Thursday nights from 6 to 9pm have free admission for students. Check out their website for more information!
- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden – Free
Minneapolis makes it easy to experience the beauty of art through theater, film, and visual art. Hopefully, this list will help you to find good deals so you can affordably jump right into the arts community!